Wednesday, March 30, 2016




This is what abuse looks like. As I finally came to and realized where I was, the horrific reality washed over me: The person I loved and had children with almost beat me to death. On my way to the ICU with a broken neck and back(broken in 5 places) my first concern was where my children were. As I tried feverishly to call my mom, I realized I had no feeling in my hands. I looked at the text messages I had received from Rich Brandes, the man I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. They started out controlling and nasty, "You better come back or else I'm really going to hurt you" and "quit acting like you're actually hurt and get your ass back here, you're fine." They then turned to "I'm sorry, please call me back" and "I promise I will try to control my temper better." After I made sure my kids were safe and sound, the overwhelming reality set in. This wasn't the first, second, or tenth time he had done this, he just did a better job. Six months prior to this, a video was given to the police of him terrorizing me for over and hour at my bar. As he threw me to the ground, kicked me, beat me with a broom, kneed me and hit me with his fists and elbows, there was a clear smile on his face. He enjoyed watching me suffer and try to protect myself against someone twice my size. The beginning of this year I could feel him change into that monster again, only this time it was worse. I knew my body and my mind couldn't take another beating, and this time he would be successful at ending my life. On January 12th, 2016, I had enough courage and spirit left in me to report what he had done to me. I fought to keep him out of jail the last time because he promised he would get help and it would never happen again. I didn't report him in July when I was hospitalized because I was so scared of what he would do to me if he didn't end up in prison. I took the risk and had him charged with aggravated domestic battery six months after the incident because I realized I wouldn't be alive for my children soon. Even though his family is fighting so hard to have him released so that he can come after me and finally beat me to death, it is the best decision I have ever made. Please share this to spread awareness of domestic abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment